The fear to choose the right course of study is one of the student ‘s struggles yet to overcome. These student concerns majorly begin from high school or secondary school to when processing admission into college or university.
One fact about choosing the right course is, even with a pass from the university or college, you will still find a good job.
Course Of Choice – The Start of Student Concerns
The start of a student failure begins immediately when the wrong course is chosen. Starting from high school or secondary school days to gaining admission into the university.
This might not have an instant impact on a student’s life at first.
Luck for some students, they may not face any difficulties while schooling but as soon as they graduate impart of not choosing the right course start to show up.
This should be something to avoid at an early student life. Right course of choice should be a priority for students and parents who want the best for their children.
As many students tend to choose the course of their choice based on their level of understanding and experiences.
Most children who have or are likely to have issues with choosing the right course are students who could not overcome peer pressure. A process at which other seniors, peers, or friends in high rankings over power them to follow their steps.
This simply means, a student who is overpowered by other students will never have the will power to decide for themselves. they do not just have no other choice than to give in easily.
The painful part of this is that the other students who overpower them may not even know the value of the course they choose. It may not be the right choice of course.
While this set of students are forced to pick the wrong course to study in college or secondary school, there are others who aren’t threatened but would naturally follow their friends to a department not meant for them.
There are few others who do not just know, or are totally confused about what course to choose after high school or secondary school.
This set of students know what they are doing, they know what they want but do not know how to choose the right course.
Choosing the right course is one of the student concerns. I will try to cover how to choose the right course, that will at the end of the reading be your least of struggles.
How To Choose The Right Course Best For You
Choose the right course for you based on interest, passion, career, dynamics with less assumption and most importantly value.
1. Course of Interest: Your first priority should be your course of interest, choose what you love doing. To know what your interest in and how it correlates seamlessly with your course is to observe what it is you naturally love doing, starting from you being a kid
How do you know your course of interest? Just like a kid who loves playing around with electricity, trying to find a way to fix things without rest, simply indicates that that kind of child has interest in anything mechanical or electrical, computer engineering or anything related. Most especially If you mostly pass physics, maths or any related subject in exam.
2. Find your passion: Your course of choice should have a lot to do with your passion. For instance, If you are ever passionate about singing, the right course for you is music or start going for a music class. Or passionate about taking care of animals, the right course for you is to be a veterinary therapist or surgeon.
3. Aim at career: Many students end up building other people’s careers because they want a job. A smart person will always go for the right course that suits both the field of study and career.
Career will make you an employee, while a job will make you an employer to those who focus on career, why? Because they choose the right course. Be smart about this…
4. Choose value: Though, we can say, every course pick in some way adds value to a student life. But how relevant or productive the value the course renders is what matters. That a course add value to one’s life should be a factor to consider, of what impact is the value to one’s life.
Some courses have literally no value, instead they ruin life, some others have a complete negative impact, while a few others courses, if rightly picked, have an immense amount of value that contributes to a person’s life.
Some students end up leaving university with good grades but end up useless and less productive. Some others end up wasting years and time in school studying the wrong course because at the end they may not get any job that fits into the course of study.
5. Choose dynamic course: There are courses that aren’t dynamic, don’t pick them, they may be easy to study but difficult to get a job or will not fit into your career in the future.
Pick a dynamic course that you can maneuver when you find it complex to get a job. What I mean is pick a course that is required, recognized and valuable in almost every organization.
6. Make research: Be certain about your course of study, don’t assume and then conclude one course is better than the other, take your time to make research, make finding from people who have studied the course and what is their success rate.
7. Take a brief break: Choosing the right course is just like choosing a good relationship. There is a saying, ‘the way you rush in, you will definitely rush out’. Don’t rush to choose a course, take your time to study the syllabus.
8. Stop being anxious: Anxiety has led so many students to study the wrong course. When you are anxious you are at that moment not fully in control of your reasoning. The fear and worry to quickly pick will always overwhelm you that you will forget to clearly pick.
9. Don’t be persuaded : people will tell you to choose this course and that, based on their own interest and experience, don’t buy into their opinion. Your life is different from theirs. Though, many may be telling you to choose this or that based on genuity, they really mean no harm, but if you want to choose the right course for study, you should never be persuaded.
At the end of the read. I hope you can pick some guide to choose the right course of study among the listed steps.
Failure to pick the right course could make students end up wasting their fee the first year and then drop out of school because they can’t cope, it could also lead to difficulty in having a good grade, worse of all, student who fail to choose the right course end up jobless after spending so much time and money in school.