Making reading a habit makes you know what you lack knowledge about. As everything changes in life, the larger the information gets; and the more you surf into reading, the better you become and grow in knowledge. No one is an island, only when you search more will you find more.
Many people have failed to progress just because they are not used to reading. These people ignore the power of information sourcing and focus on other things that grip their attention like the social media; and most times subconsciously get addicted, as social media addiction becomes an avenue to showcase insanity.
The world we live in has become a place where everything is done in a haste; no stress and less time consuming. People are addicted to a fast paced life and it drastically affects the human way of life. “Life is no more about working hard, but more about working smart”. Working smart means less stress with good results.
This is a good move, but the mistake people make about this is that people incorporate this way of life into reading. Students do not want to read but they want to pass; young adults do not want to work but want to see results.
While this works for some, it still shows that this is not the best way to get the best out of life. You have to dig deep before you can find gold. Though life has its way of turning things around, as some people do not have to dig before they find what they want.
This kind of success does not last because it comes with laziness. What you work for, strive for, stays longer with you than things gotten by luck or by chance.
One thing is reading to know, another is reading to understand that which you know.
1. Passion: Many people find it hard to make reading part of their lives, or find reading not interesting because they do not figure out their passion at first. Passion is all about what you love doing and not what people force you to do.
Reading is not as easy as it seems, and most people who have taken time to venture into reading would agree that reading is not a joke. But as students, business owners, self employed, and others, reading is something we cannot run away from.
Being passionate about reading is one way to make reading a habit. You will always love what you are passionate about. Find your true passion for reading, then you can easily get along.
2. Interest in niche: But before passion comes a very important key factor to making reading a habit – and that is to find your niche. Finding your niche is like finding a kind of book that interests you; not once or once in a while but often. For example, if you love reading anything about animals, it is easier to read more about zoology, or even become a zoologist or a veterinarian.
If you love anything about plants, then you should know that you could read anything related to agriculture; or if you like things on self improvement, self help, motivational speeches and articles, you could visit Craving, Psychology Today, Goalcast and more.
Lifehack is also a source for knowledge improvement, help, happiness, productivity and more.
3. Consistency: Finding your niche of interest without consistency cannot make you become a successful reader. Making reading a habit needs more consistency. When you find your niche, be passionate about what you love doing. You need to be consistent about what you love doing.
4. Reliance: This is about putting hope in finding a result in what you do. When you cannot rely on something to yield positivity, then the chance of making reading a habit is almost zero.
5. Commitment: This is not about reading just once a week or thrice a month, but about how committed you are to what you do. Commitment is not about something forcing you to do a thing; but the willingness to get a thing done at the right time.
6. Sacrifice: Reading is time consuming and constraining. It is a mental activity and it takes much energy. But you have to make the sacrifice to get going. Remember, the more you focus on what you do, the better you become; so also, the more you take the time to read, the more it becomes a part of you.